Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek

Friday morning, a number of my dad's co-workers had gotten together to see Star Trek. He decided to bring us along, so not only did we get to see the movie, but we also got to meet Dad's co-workers. Very cool. They all recognized me immediately, even though I had no idea who they were. I got to sit next to one of Dad's nerdiest co-workers, which made the movie even better.

Now, the movie. I loved it. I really, really enjoyed it. Just this last Wednesday I went to see X-Men Origins and did not like it. I was setting myself up for failure as we went to see the movie. My first sigh of relief came when Dad looked up the movie on screen it only to find that the movie is indeed clean. Kissing, but no sex/nudity. Only one big swear word, but it worked and it wasn't that bad (not the f-word). That got me in good spirits to go see the movie. The previews were nothing special: Transformers 2 (still haven't seen the first one), Terminator Salvation, Land of the Lost, Night at the Museum 2 (I am dreading this one), and Year 1 (Why?). Nothing too exciting or watchable.

Then came the movie. The first few notes of the score blew my mind. That put me in a very, very good mood. The score was incredible all the way through the movie. I was mentally rocking out during the credits: the music was that awesome. Brennen commented after the movie that it sounded like something I would write: big, heavy, dark brass sound. I only wish I could.

The plot was great. The characters were amazing. The CG was mind-blowing. It always has bugged me that in the original Star Trek series, the ships only had 2 weapons: one phaser and torpedoes. They remedied that in this movie. It just makes more sense. The sound editing is what got me. I love silence. It is one of the best tools that movie-makers can use, and yet it is not used often enough. This movie had a perfect use of silence.

I won't give too much away. I was pleasantly surprised to see such an enjoyable film.