So, on Friday between classes Anna and I got to go to the temple. That was a great experience, especially after not being there for quite a while. I think I got confirmed for a guy named Frank K. Marr, but I'm not sure. Also, I finally figured out who the Singh family is! I've been being confirmed and baptized for them ever since I came to BYU, and I couldn't place the name. I'm fairly certain that it is Indian, which would explain why they're having us do the baptizing and confirming.
Later, I think it finally hit me that I am a priesthood holder, and I started acting like one. Anna and I were having a bit of problem, so I decided we should pray about it. Afterwards, Anna and I started feeling a whole lot better. I also reminded her that she should probably get a blessing, as she has been sick for way too long.
On Saturday, Anna's nephew Matthew was getting baptized. As a side note, I finally picked up my solodyn, which is so very nice to have. His baptism was at 4:30 and in American Fork, and call time for BB band was 6:00. Frankly, I really didn't care about call time: I wanted to be there for his baptism. This is one of the four kids that I babysat with Anna last week. Have I written about that? End result of the babysitting: Anna thinks I'm adorable around little ones and her nephews and nieces love me. Anyway, we got there right before they started. The littlest one, Margarete, who is not quite 2 and absolutely adorable, let me hold her all through the pre-baptismal stuff. She was adorable, and Anna was jealous. Anna's dad was there. Anyway, the baptism was great, and Anna got to give the talk about the holy ghost and confirmation. Matthew let me join with his dad and other relatives and bishopric member in confirming him. I guess that formally makes me part of the family. After the whole thing was over (which took about 50 minutes: they have to hurry in Utah), I leaned over to Anna and asked her if she wanted to ask her dad for a blessing. She said she had just been thinking about that, and I had tipped the scales. She got a blessing, which was beautiful, and she noticeably seemed better. She's still not all the way better, and Jared and I are going to anoint her tomorrow. I did end up getting to the game a bit late, but I still made it before the band started playing. The director even let us play stuff that we've never played before (which has been really bugging me lately), and BYU kicked Air Force's trash, so it was well worth it.
This morning/noon was great. Anna and I went to church early, and I set up the sacrament and ended up blessing too. All of my roommates ended up doing the sacrament, which was just really fun. David was a basketcase, poor guy. He's the technical director of New Play Project, and they just had their latest performances this past weekend (which were great). Needless to say, he was freaking out a bit. He's also FHE Grandpa, and this week we were expecting to have a ward FHE presented by the Emergency Preparedness committee. However, they weren't prepared and decided to postpone it. David believed it was his responsibility to get everything set right, but he just couldn't. So, I got my FHE activity for tomorrow organized and talked to one of our home teachees and set up an appointment. He seemed to calm down quite a bit after I told him that.
At church, I felt particularly in tune with the spirit. I felt, even during sacrament, that I was going to bear my testimony, and I did end up doing it. More than that, though, when I sat down next to Anna, I had a subtle hint tell me to ask if she was going to bear her testimony. Once again, I tipped the scales. I helped her overcome herself and go up and bear her testimony. After she had calmed down from her public speaking experience, I went up and bore my testimony. I just felt so peaceful all through church: it was wonderful.
Overall, this experience taught me a few things. As a teenager, the spirit had to nearly overcome me to get me to do something. If I felt prompted to go and bear my testimony, I would literally get a burning sensation in my heart, on top of mom gently hinting that I should go up. And yet, I hardly ever did, and I would be scared to death if I did. This time was vastly different: I wasn't scared, and I didn't have to have a burning sensation to prompt me. This time, the influence of the spirit was so subtle, I wouldn't even describe it as a voice. It was just a prompting, and it felt wonderful. Nonetheless, the spirit didn't change: I changed, and the spirit had a much easier time getting through to me. Also, I need to magnify my callings. I have been called by the Lord to assist in the setting up of the sacrament and to be an FHE dad. I've been failing miserably at both, as well as at my home teaching assignment. Anna is wonderful, but balance is essential in my life, especially now. I realized this weekend that I can turn my papers in, I think, next Sunday. That's kinda scary.
Anna has taken a liking to calling me "honey", which fills me with joy. She also says that her nephews and nieces that I've met may start calling me "uncle". I've been able to put up with Neil so much easier lately. Now Thomas is the one that I've got my eye on.
I'm thinking that this character change of mine may be for me to learn that I need to be the strong one in my relationships with others, and that I can no longer afford to be passive. I kinda like it, even though I think at the root of this whole thing is me learning humility.
I love you, and I really can't wait for the 14th.
Under Mirkwood
12 years ago